25-year old point guard Kendrick Perry almost signed a deal with BBL team medi bayreuth in the offseason but finally ended up on Nizhny Novgorod’s new roster for the 2018/19 campaign. Perry averaged 14.9 points, 4.14 rebounds and 4.05 assists per game last year for Szolnoki Olaj and was the main reason Szolnoki won another title in the Hungarian NBIA. The move to Russia is a big step up in his career both competition-wise as well as financially.
– always under control, floor-general type without being a ballhog, controls the pace, good passer
– unselfish, gets teammates involved, looks for the inside-mismatch, good entry passer with either hand
– good fundamentals defensively, has his hands up when defending the pick and roll, quick slides, boxes his man out after switches
– quick hands, deflects passes
– good athlete, can break down defenses, gets out in transition
– able to knock down pull-up J’s, improving 3pt shooter
– gets his shot off, but streaky at times, late release on his jumpshots
– needs to get better at making defenses pay when they go under on ballscreens
– not yet elite at beating his man in 1 vs 1 situations, especially after switches (bad spacing at Szolnoki didn’t help either)
– a little soft at times both offensively attacking the rim as well as defensively (mostly in transition), shies away from contact at the rim, not the bulkiest PG
– can get in foul trouble, uses his hands too much
Kendrick Perry is definitely on the way up after a stellar season for Szolnoki Olaj. Almost ended up in Bayreuth, where coach Raoul Korner is known for finding talent in lesser known leagues. Playing in Russia is a good situation for the 25-year old point guard, where he can be Nizhny’s floor-general and get high-level reps in the VTB league. Perry needs to continue his improvement as a shooter and prove he’s able to produce against greater competition. Better spacing will help him to be even more effective using his speed and agility, but he also needs to do some film work in order to know when he has to attack and when he has to shoot. Still room for improvement there. Everything gets tougher in the VTB league, but Perry is known as a high character guy and a steady worker. Has the tools to play at this level.